Tuesday, December 18, 2007

Couples Dating


Adrienne and I were at a Christmas party and found ourselves in a rare situation. We were talking with another couple and genuinely enjoyed both of them. Usually when talking to another couple we like the guy but not the girl or we just wonder why she's with him. But here, right in front of us was a couple we actually liked. As the natural flow of the evening separated us we found ourselves bored by other couples and singles. We wanted more from our mirthful couple but didn't want to over-step our bounds. We knew what we had to do and were terrified. We had to ask them out.

All our other couple friends are old single friends who are now dating or married. We've never asked out another couple. We were stupefied. We didn't want to seem desperate or come off like swingers, and what if they rejected us? I don't know about Adrienne but I don't think I could handle couple rejection.

We decided to wait and email them in the morning. We agreed to use the same technique as asking out a single. We suggested a time and place and let them know how much we enjoyed talking with them. I was nervous to check my email but there they were, expressing similar interest. They even said, "We wish we could've talked more at the party but didn't want to come off like stalkers."

No comments: