Thursday, January 3, 2008

The Heather Zone

My friend Heather believes men and women can be friends. That’s easy for her to say, she's steered more studs to the friend zone than a bullfighter. I too believe men and women can be friends, but it’s all determined by intent. Most of the men in Heather's life have not intended to be her friend. So the greater question is; at what point do these men surrender their ambitions in favor of friendship? I've known Heather for 10 plus years. Some years we're closer than others and I will say I became her friend out of fear. Back then my intimate relationships came and went, but I instantly knew I wanted to know Heather more than a few months (and her last boyfriend was covered in prison tats.) My fear of not knowing her created an intention of friendship. Today I treasure that when telling Heather a story, she can accurately see the young boy I still am.

No comments: