I rode the subway home last night. The cars were moderately full because of the light holiday schedule. The atmosphere was relaxed until the back sliding door opened. A filthy and obnoxious homeless man entered shouting "I need some help! I haven't eaten! I need some help!" He tried commanding peoples attention by staring them in the eye. "I need some help! I haven't eaten! I need some help!" he repeated, growing more and more frustrated. He was trapped in some sort of transparent isolation. He could see people but they they couldn't see him. By the time he got to me he screamed as if drowning, "It's CHRISTMAS!" I stood in the middle of the car frozen. He looked me straight in eye and shook his head in disgust. As he headed toward the next car he was given a dollar.
...man's life does not consist in the abundance of his possessions.
-Jesus
No comments:
Post a Comment